Monday, February 13, 2017

Sibling weekend in San Diego - April 30-May 2, 2016


My goodness it's been a long time since I've updated the blog (yet again)!  Sorry for the long wait, but I'll have at least six more trips to write about after this, so when it rains, it pours...

To celebrate my brother Edmund's milestone birthday, a last-minute trip to San Diego was planned.  Since he, his wife Angela, and daughter Abby live in Southern California, they could drive there. It'd be a really long car ride alone from Northern California for me (Kaleb had work obligations), so I checked airfares.  If you buy tickets within a week of departure, the price is usually very high. Fortunately, I had some United miles to burn. It wasn't the best use of miles and cost me a $75 "close-in fee" as I was booking less than 21 days before departure with no elite status, but it was much less than if I paid for the ticket outright. (At the time of this writing, there's a way to get around this fee according to Million Mile Secrets, but I didn't choose to do so)  The flight included a stop in San Francisco but I didn't mind, though the 5am departure time wasn't ideal...so not a morning person!

I would be landing in San Diego 5 hours before Edmund arrived in town (no other award flights with better timing) so I planned to hang out in the airport's Airspace Lounge until then, with complimentary entry thanks to the American Express Platinum Card (includes 4 free guests too, according to the SAN Airspace Lounge web page).

The flight to San Francisco was uneventful, on a small CRJ-200 jet.  The flight from San Francisco to San Diego was a different story.  It started out uneventful and took off on time.  Then the captain got on the PA system shortly after takeoff and informed us of an electrical problem (a monitor in the cockpit went dark) and that the plane needed to return back to SFO.  There was a loud rapid alarm going off in the cockpit as he was making the announcement, which was disconcerting.  Unfortunately, the plane had to burn off fuel before landing, so we flew in circles around the Bay Area for almost 2 hours.  Inconvenient, but my wait in San Diego was shortened, plus I was sure that United would offer compensation.  And I'm glad we didn't crash!

regular Economy seat with power outlet
flew by Moffett Field many times

The plane landed and everyone returned to the gate waiting area, waiting for an update. There were several schedule changes, but finally we were going to take off at 10:30am.  (our original departure time was 6:42am)  In the meantime, United staff brought out snacks and drinks for the affected passengers, a nice gesture.


In the meantime, Edmund was a little late starting the drive, so the late plane departure didn't affect our plans.  The flight to San Diego was uneventful the second time around, save for a hard landing.

seat-back screen this time
tasty cookie
I was able to hang out in the Airspace Lounge for about an hour and a half before getting picked up...plenty of time to have a light lunch.  Entry included a $10 credit to spend on menu items or the bar.  I got a charcuterie plate and enjoyed a cup of fine tea.

Airspace Lounge entrance in San Diego airport

Edmund arrived and we were off to the Hilton San Diego Resort and Spa.  With Hilton HHonors Diamond status, he got a spacious balcony room with bay view and breakfast vouchers.


It turned out that my brother Allen, wife Lisa, and kids Alison and Brandon were also able to make it down to San Diego, arriving a few hours after us.  We went for a walk in the park next to the hotel.


Afterwards, we had dinner at Red Lobster.  Love those cheddar biscuits!

lobster bisque
salmon New Orleans

The next morning, we had breakfast at the hotel's restaurant, Acqua. Edmund and Angela upgraded their continental breakfast voucher to full breakfast buffet.  The buffet looked really good, though I didn't get any pictures of it as I ordered off the menu.

breakfast voucher
my a-la-carte breakfast

Onward to the San Diego Zoo!  Angela bought all our tickets through her employee discount program...it's always a good idea to see if you have these benefits at work. Her deal was better than the discount I would get from showing my travel agent ID card!

The zoo was fun, especially seeing the pandas!  As the grounds were hilly, there were moving walkways that transported guests and their strollers up the slope. (just up, not down)  Our tickets included a ride on the aerial tram as well as a bus tour around the park.  I would recommend sitting on the right-hand side of the bus as you are facing the front as most of the exhibits were best seen from there.  We were seated on the left-hand side and found it was hard to see and take pictures over people's heads.

what a healthy lunch!
on the tour bus
lion

Allen and family left the park early as they had to get ready for work and school on Monday.  The rest of us headed to dinner at Phil's BBQ, which had high Yelp ratings.  The food did not disappoint!


The next morning, we had breakfast again at the hotel restaurant.  The breakfast buffet wasn't available as it was a Monday, but Edmund and Angela were able to redeem their voucher for a-la-carte menu items.

my breakfast today

Afterwards, we headed over to Seaport Village to stroll around, try some Frost Me cupcakes (as seen on Cupcake Wars) and take pictures.


Then we all headed home.  I got dropped off at the San Diego airport, where I enjoyed a short visit to the Airspace Lounge again.  Both flights were uneventful, and I was even able to enjoy a yummy dinner at the Centurion Lounge during my layover in San Francisco, with complimentary entry through the American Express Platinum Card (2 free guests also included).

Airspace Lounge dessert of the day (macarons)
Phil's in SAN airport
United economy
entrance to SFO Centurion Lounge
short rib, bean salad, fresh veggies
chocolate mousse

What a fun weekend!  It was great to get together with my brothers and their families.  I was correct in assuming that I would get some compensation from the delayed flight in San Francisco - 3750 miles were credited to my frequent flyer account.

Stay tuned for my next entry about attending a Cruise360 conference in Vancouver, BC and get a little insight into how cruise travel agents keep themselves up-to-date with the industry and the latest offerings!

***

If you came here from a Facebook or Twitter link, thanks for clicking the "Facebook Like" button below or retweeting!

Don't miss a blog entry!  Sign up for updates direct to your inbox here or add the blog to your RSS feed.

Getting excited reading about these trips and want to go?  Contact me at yellowdogtravel at gmail d0t com with your ideas and I can help you plan it!  Or if you've already put a deposit on a cruise through the cruise line, contact me to get more information on transferring the reservation to me to get bonuses like extra onboard credit or gifts.  I have lots of happy returning clients - references always available.

Come check out my other blog "What in the world is Kat Kong doing now?", documenting things other than traveling...sign up for blog updates direct to your inbox here!

Another disclaimer:  The intention of this blog was to remind Future Me in full detail about where I went and what I did.  I could have made it private, but I frequently get questions from family, friends and internet folks about how I planned things, got deals, etc., so instead of repeating the story over and over, I direct them here. If you are offended by anything I say or do, save yourself the discomfort and kindly click away from my blog. Thanks for reading and have a wonderful day!



Previous post: Napa, Point Reyes, Muir Woods, Fisherman's Wharf


No comments:

Post a Comment