Thursday, March 25, 2010

Welcome!


Apparently my Facebook updates aren't detailed enough, so a few friends have suggested that I write a blog and go into details about where I'm going, since there isn't a "WITWIKK" iPhone app.  I travel a decent amount  for leisure, work, and do the occasional "mileage run" (which I will explain in a future post for those not familiar).  Now you all can live vicariously through me, muhaha!  My next trip isn't for another month, so sit tight.  I can tell stories about past trips to fill in the time.

I haven't always been a travel junkie.  Growing up, I didn't have dreams of seeing far away places...I was more worried about getting straight A's and doing the right things to get into college.  I am lucky that my parents were keen on taking us places when we were growing up, even though we didn't have a lot of money.  This meant lots of summer road trips with the three of us kids laying on top of carpeted benches in the back of a Ford pick-up with camper shell, our food for the week and supplies packed underneath us.  Sometimes it'd be the Oldsmobile sedan with the overloaded X-Cargo on top (that contributed to the death of the car).  When enough money was saved, we flew in an airplane or went on a tour.  By the time I started college, I had seen a lot of places such as Yosemite, Yellowstone, British Columbia, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Reno, Hong Kong, Southern China,  Disneyland (and road trip scenery).  The traveling seemed to stay with me, even when I went to college and beyond.  I am forever thankful to my parents for working so hard and taking the time to give us the gift of travel, letting us see the world that is outside our normal life and expanding our minds.  Thanks Mom and Dad.  Now it is our turn to make the time to travel with you again.  In the past ten years, we've traveled with different permutations of parents and kids, but we haven't actually had a trip with the whole family, probably since I left for college.  This is something I hope to achieve every other year or more frequent if possible.

1 comment:

  1. Love this - I also love to travel and some of my best memories as a child were family vacations.

    ReplyDelete