Friday, May 5, 2017

7-night Alaska southbound cruise on Norwegian Sun, Day 3: Icy Strait Point, Seven Seas main dining room - June 8, 2016


Trip Index
***

Day 3 Freestyle Daily and inserts:


Since I only posted a plate of breakfast in my last post, here are some shots of the breakfast offerings at the buffet:

hot items
smoked salmon
those mini chocolate croissants are the bomb

Icy Strait Point is a relatively new port of call in Alaska, converted from an old cannery site. Only one ship can dock per day.

long gangway
Norwegian Sun docked
map of the cannery area
Adventure Center where excursions start

With no excursions planned, we decided to walk 1.5 miles and check out the town of Hoonah, then returning to visit the cannery area.

It was an easy walk along a paved path that hugged the shoreline. Guests on the sea kayak excursion were paddling just off the coast.

map of Hoonah
community bulletin board

We walked east until it was mostly residential and ran into JJ Pate, selling a pain ointment made from devil's club. There were a lot of people there purchasing her items. I bought a small tub for my dad, but it didn't help him, but it may work for others as reviews are mixed.


We headed back into the business district and had a snack at the Misty Bay Cafe. The large size ice cream cup was a great value!

honey, I'm heading to the "office"
this place sells everything

Kaleb had another beer at Icy Strait Brewing. It was a small place, being inundated with cruisers, making it challenging to find a place to enjoy the view.


We returned to Icy Strait Point and visited the cannery museum, the shops and the eateries. There were whale sightings just off the shore...no need to go on an excursion!


1:10 video of the shore, whale sighting at 0:50:


As we headed back to the ship, we passed the foot of the zipline as well as another restaurant, larger in size with indoor seating.

the zipline starts all the way up there

There was a nature trail near the dock, so we went. It was really short, but peaceful, despite it being so close to the ship.


That concludes our visit to Icy Strait Point! I would consider this stop to be very leisurely, except if you choose to ride the zipline.

Tonight's dinner was at the complimentary Seven Seas main dining room. The food was decent, but I would prefer last night's meal at La Cucina as it had more complexity, but that is my personal opinion. Plus, we paid extra for La Cucina so I'd expect it to be so. Nevertheless, we were stuffed and satisfied.

tonight's menu page 1
tonight's menu page 2
bread and butter
steamed clams
Vietnamese summer roll
French onion soup
corn fritters
grilled salmon
moussaka
tonight's dessert menu
double chocolate mousse and brownie
coconut tapioca pearl

Not sure what tonight's towel animal was supposed to be...maybe a ram?

goat? ram?
lovely sunset from the balcony

Tomorrow, we will be hiking in Skagway...stay tuned!

***

If you came here from a Facebook or Twitter link, thanks for clicking the "Facebook Like" button below or retweeting!

Don't miss a blog entry!  Sign up for updates direct to your inbox here or add the blog to your RSS feed.

Getting excited reading about these trips and want to go?  Contact me at yellowdogtravel at gmail d0t com with your ideas and I can help you plan it!  Or if you've already put a deposit on a cruise through the cruise line, contact me to get more information on transferring the reservation to me to get bonuses like extra onboard credit or gifts.  I have lots of happy returning clients - references always available.

Come check out my other blog "What in the world is Kat Kong doing now?", documenting things other than traveling...sign up for blog updates direct to your inbox here!

Another disclaimer:  The intention of this blog was to remind Future Me in full detail about where I went and what I did.  I could have made it private, but I frequently get questions from family, friends and internet folks about how I planned things, got deals, etc., so instead of repeating the story over and over, I direct them here. If you are offended by anything I say or do, save yourself the discomfort and kindly click away from my blog. Thanks for reading and have a wonderful day!



Previous post: Morning at sea, Hubbard Glacier, La Cucina

No comments:

Post a Comment