Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Day hike to Lake Sylvia - September 12, 2016



A lot of my trip reports are about far away places, but I also like to visit places close to home. Hiking is one of my favorite pastimes and the area where I live is surrounded by beautiful, tucked-away destinations which can be seen in a day. I was fortunate to be able to spend time with my friend Lynda, who led us on a 10-mile round trip hike to a sparkling gem called Lake Sylvia.

Plenty of parking was available at the Lyons Creek Trailhead 9:30 Monday morning (I'm sure weekends are busier). This trail also takes you to Lyons Lake. A day hiker permit per group is required; you can get this for free at the self-serve station. If you plan to camp overnight, you'll need to pay for a wilderness permit in advance.

getting our day permit

The hike through the forest of Desolation Wilderness was relatively easy (in my opinion and physical fitness) and well-shaded. The trail is described as "moderate", as the path climbs 1500 feet in 5 miles, with elevation at around 6500-8000 feet; something to keep in mind while considering this hike.


We did not see anyone on the trail until we reached Lake Sylvia, and even then, there were just two people passing through. The water was clear, cool and crisp. It took about 3 leisurely hours to get here, plenty of time for conversation. Based on reviews, it seems that wildflowers would be abundant earlier in the year, but we didn't see too many at this late season. Beware of snow on the trail if you attempt it too early in the year. And bring your mosquito repellent if you are staying overnight!

Lake Sylvia

360 view at Lake Sylvia (drag image to look around):

Arriving at Lake Sylvia - Spherical Image - RICOH THETA

After eating our sandwiches and snacks, we took some time to relax...ahhhh...

Hanging out at Lake Sylvia - Spherical Image - RICOH THETA

Afterwards, Lynda and I hiked back to the parking lot, seeing no one until a small group of overnight backpackers passed us. I like uncrowded trails! It does also help to go on a weekday.

If you want to get away from it all, this destination is a great option. I look forward to hiking other hidden gems with Lynda in the future!

What's next on the agenda? A 9-night New England and Canada cruise with my parents on Royal Caribbean's Anthem of the Seas...stay tuned!

***

If you came here from a Facebook or Twitter link, thanks for clicking the "Facebook Like" button below or retweeting!

Don't miss a blog entry!  Sign up for updates direct to your inbox here or add the blog to your RSS feed.

Getting excited reading about these trips and want to go?  Contact me at yellowdogtravel at gmail d0t com with your ideas and I can help you plan it!  Or if you've already put a deposit on a cruise through the cruise line, contact me to get more information on transferring the reservation to me to get bonuses like extra onboard credit or gifts.  I have lots of happy returning clients - references always available.

Come check out my other blog "What in the world is Kat Kong doing now?", documenting things other than traveling...sign up for blog updates direct to your inbox here!

Another disclaimer:  The intention of this blog was to remind Future Me in full detail about where I went and what I did.  I could have made it private, but I frequently get questions from family, friends and internet folks about how I planned things, got deals, etc., so instead of repeating the story over and over, I direct them here. If you are offended by anything I say or do, save yourself the discomfort and kindly click away from my blog. Thanks for reading and have a wonderful day!








1 comment:

  1. Awesome place ,Kat.My husband and I spent the Thanksgiving Monday night at Chateau Lake Louise. We found everyone one at this hotel to be friendly and helpful. We had drinks at the Saloon after checking in. Reasonable prices for a touristy area in the middle of nowhere.

    A weekend getaway in Niagara Falls

    ReplyDelete